Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Slow Starts


Neel's Gap, where our noble adventurers return to their quest.



Today was our first day of hiking on our "real" journey to Maine. We got off to a slow start this morning. We are still getting acclimated to our new surroundings in the RV and in a state park we've never been to, so things move a bit slower right now. We have some time to play with, so taking our time to make sure we are prepared is probably a good thing. My Uncle (who will henceforth be referred to as UJ) is here with us for a while, which is fantastic, especially for Mamma in the RV. We went about 6 miles today, from Neel's Gap to Tesnatee Gap, and it took us about 5 hours. What can I say, I'm squishy and slow.
As I stepped into the Raven Cliffs Wilderness, a few things were immediately apparent. The entire character of the forest has changed since March. Then, everything was a damp brown, bleak and dead-looking. Now, I am surrounded by green. Ferns and flowers completely coat the forest floor. It looks almost tropical. I was also treated to several critter encounters today, and in March I barely saw so much as a mosquito. I came across all manner of bugs in all shapes, sizes and colors, a tiny snake, hawks and buzzards, a bunny rabbit, and evidence of bears (see below).

Don't worry, we didn't actually see any. And we are being very careful. I'd love to see one of these famous black bears. From a distance though, please.

The day was beautiful. Almost too beautiful. Hiking in the 85 degree sun is great for the spirit and for photo ops, but pretty hard on the cardiovascular system. Usually, I have a hard time remembering to drink enough water to stay hydrated. Not today. It was a glorious day to be outdoors, and we got some fantastic views from the tops of the mountains.


Toldya so...

Mamma and UJ picked us up in the RV at Tesnatee Gap and we had a nice shower and hamburger dinner. It may be slow going right now while we get used to things, but sign me up for this any day. Since I'm officially in this for the long haul, I'm going to update my mileage and other statistics on a weekly, rather than daily basis. Wouldn't want my readers to get bored with the details. As a final note, the entire trail was lined with tiny purple and pink orchids, which are my favorite flowers. I'm taking that as a sign that I'm meant to be here. A promising start.


I could probably make better time if I didn't stop to fix the cairns. I think I'll do it all the same...



No comments:

Post a Comment