Thursday, October 7, 2010

Break's Over



Back on the Trail

So we packed up our entourage about a week ago and headed back South to take care of business. We had a lot of driving to do so we tried to make it as worthwhile as possible. We stopped in Lexington to see Trail Sister, and ended up meeting a few more Sisters than we had planned.

Trail Sister + Some

We made it to Richmond after that little detour West, for my interview at the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, or as those who know and love it refer to it, the Medical College of Virginia. I have to admit, I can't get MCV off of my mind. Showing up for my interview felt like coming home. And that, to me, says a lot. I have lots of schools left to see, but I love Richmond. I feel happy here, and I'd love for my journey to take me back here eventually.

Prospective MCV-er

I felt like my visit to MCV went well (*knock on wood*), and after a week off the trail, was glad to see wilderness again. By the time we got back to Pennsylvania after what felt like two days of driving, it was late afternoon. We walked a couple of miles through town and had some excellent cheesesteaks at a local pizza place. But it didn't really feel like I was back on the trail until today. We hiked about 8 miles today, which included a 1,000 foot climb, and I felt soft and weak. Even after just a week off of the trail, I felt rusty. But it was a beautiful, cool, windy October day, and slowly but surely, we pressed on, even though the trail was fraught with dangers.

That quiver of arrows is for the crossbow he's carrying. The crossbow has a scope attached to it. He said he was "deer hunting." He was 2 miles from any road. Deer hunting? Yeah right. More like covert government sting operation.

Trail Angel Mamma and Trail Dog met us for the last half a mile or so of our hike today, so we had the whole clan reunited with the AT. It definitely feels good to be back.


Trail Family

No comments:

Post a Comment