Thursday, July 26, 2012

The End of the Line...For Now...

Crossing the state line into New Hampshire
   Today was our last day of hiking for this round of our AT adventure.  We hiked about 8 miles.  We had such luck today, because even though the forecast included a 70% chance of rain and thunderstorms, we only walked in a drizzle for about 20 minutes.  

Last hike on the AT for a while.
    We didn't see many people on the trail today, so it was almost like we had the wilderness to ourselves.  We only stopped once during the entire hike.  At one point, we heard a mooing sound in the distance.  A local had recently told us that this was moose country.  This is also dairy farm country.  I'm choosing to believe what we heard was a moose bidding us farewell.  A little natural Trail Magic.

Non-moose Trail Magic on our last day.  I especially like the hiking boots repurposed as planters. 
   At the very end of our hike today, as part of one of the longest road-walks on the entire AT, we crossed the state line from Vermont into New Hampshire.  I always like ending with some sort of definable milestone.  This trip to the AT is particularly special for me because we took no zero days and it's the first time we've actually made it to our original goal point.  The trail walks right through the middle of Hanover, New Hampshire, home of Dartmouth College.  We said that we would hike to the Dartmouth bookstore.  And that's exactly where we ended up.  I've always said that this experience is not about the destination, but the journey.  I truly believe that, and I am trying to live it.  It's been a year since I was last on the AT, and I have no idea when I'll be able to be on the trail again.  Now, the "real world" is calling me out of the woods.  Once again I find myself saying goodbye to this adventure for awhile, and wondering where it will take me next.  The only thing I know for sure is that this journey is far from over, and the Trail still has much to teach me.  I have been blessed beyond measure with an incredible family and amazing opportunities, both here in the wilderness and beyond.  Happy Trails, friends of Nano.  Until our wanderings bring us together again.
    
An educational ending.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mileage Update:
Miles Hiked this trip:  196.7
Miles from Springer Mountain:  1,737.3
Miles from Katahdin:  441.1

1 comment:

  1. Bravo to you and Amicus and to Trail Mom and to Sis. You have accomplished much on the AT and The Trail of Life! Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete