Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day!

Me and my Daddy.

This Father's Day was a glorious, beautiful Sunday for a hike, even though it was a bit hotter than it has been. We went about 12 miles in just under 7 hours, which was really an accomplishment, considering the terrain included two 1,000+ foot climbs and descents. The first point of interest was a place called, literally, "Beauty Spot." And for a good reason. The panoramic views spoke for themselves. Apparently there's an annual strawberry festival at this location too, which sounds like a lot of fun. Unfortunately, it was not being held today.

Beauty Spot.

The second big climb, considerably harder than the climb up Beauty Spot, was up Unaka Mountain...

Unaka Mountain in the background, as seen from Beauty Spot.

...and even though the climb was tough, it was worth it when we got to the top, because there was a very special, very surprising treat waiting for us - a whole mountaintop of live pine forest! After hiking through miles and miles of blighted, dead pines, I was so happy to see what seemed like a healthy and thriving, if recovering, grove of pine trees. It looked like this forest had regrown since the attack of the parasitic pine bugs, and was doing well.

Beautiful pine forest.

The rest of the hike was downhill and relatively uneventful. We saw another family of wild turkeys, but nothing else (if anyone has ever seen a turkey fly, it's one of the most bizarre sights nature has to offer. Those things just weren't meant for the air...), not even any other hikers.

I love my Daddy every single day, but as a final note, since it is Father's Day, I would like to wish all the Daddies, Grand-Daddies and Father-Figures out there a blessed day, but most especially mine, who is the finest man I know. I love you Daddy, and I'm glad we are on this grand adventure together.

Daddy and his girls out for Father's Day dinner.

Quote of the Day: "This is my child. She went to college. Twice. Now she's unemployed." -Daddy, in reference to me.

Mileage Update:

Miles from Springer: 360
Miles from Katahdin: 1,818

PS - I'm realizing, after almost 6 weeks out here, that my readers my be starting to find my ramblings about my daily walks uninteresting. While the sights and sounds of the trail are still totally fascinating to this easily entertained nerd, I may not be writing about what you really want to hear. So here's my proposition. If you'd like to ask me any questions, or know anything specific, leave me a comment here on the blog, or email me. I promise I will respond to all inquiries in subsequent posts.

2 comments:

  1. Callie - You're not boring me. I feel like I'm seeing the AT with you and your Dad. Wish I was there to hike part of the trail with you. GREAT picture of the family going to Father's Day dinner.

    Some of your readers may be having a little difficulty creating an account in this blog to leave comments. It's not the most intuitive site I've seen for interaction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had dreams of you since you've left. It seems you haunt me even despite my (best?) wishes!

    What, on the trail, do you dream of?

    ReplyDelete