Friday, March 18, 2011

Creature Encounters in a College Town

Welcome to Dunedin

Today we had a relatively short drive back North to Dunedin, the "Scottish Center" of New Zealand. This area, which gets very cold in the winter, unlike the mild northern parts, was originally settled by Scots because the climate reminded them of home. Now, it is one of the biggest cities in Southern New Zealand, and home to New Zealand's most famous University (and Medical School), the University of Otago. We are only here for one night, which is a shame. I have had a couple of friends who studied abroad at Otago, and I would love more time to explore the city I have heard so many stories about. We did make use of our afternoon and evening here though, starting with a journey to a penguin sanctuary. The Hoiho, or Yellow-Eyed penguin, is the most endangered species of penguin on earth. There are only 4,000 left alive. And today, must to my absolute glee, I saw 6 of them.

My First Hoiho

The most famous Hoiho in the colony. His name is Tarzan. He's 14 years old and has had 7 mates (Hoiho Penguins usually mate for life). He is on all of the brochures and postcards sold by the Sanctuary. Quite the celebrity.

March is molting season. So no, these penguins don't have a disease. They are just changing their feathers.

I'm sorry I don't have more stories to go with my penguin pictures. I was so excited all I did was click away with my camera. Penguins are my absolute favorite animal, but I've never seen one up close, in the wild. So...this was a pretty special experience for me. Especially since these little guys are so rare. We also saw some penguins who were in the Sanctuary's penguin hospital. It made me sad to see them sick in cages, but the Penguin ER has a very good record, and releases all its patients back to the wild. I was beyond thrilled to spend the afternoon getting up close and personal with my favorite little flightless bird. After the penguins, Mr. Smith and I wandered around Dunedin. We even found the Medical School, and I was tempted to drop off an application. We had a late dinner of lamb shanks at our hotel, and are currently drinking pear cider and watching Harry Potter. Somehow I feel like this is an above-average college experience, even for the very lucky Kiwis who go to school here.

Picnic at the Cathedral

No comments:

Post a Comment