Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Shores of Lake Wakatipu



Back on the Earnslaw

I've made it back to what might be one of my favorite places so far in New Zealand - Queenstown. We got to spend two nights here, which included one "free day" to do some serious exploring. We spent most of the first day driving from Franz Josef, and since it was a beautiful day, the scenery was really alive. After plenty of photo stops, and having to bypass the Haast River Boat Safari we were scheduled for because of dangerously high river levels, we made it to Queenstown just in time to get cleaned up and changed in time to catch the Earnslaw back to Walter Peak Farm. The food was still good, and Bess the Sheep Dog and her master were still there putting on a great show. It was one of my favorite things the last time I did it, so I was really thrilled to do it again. After a late night and a good sleep, we were excited to explore Queenstown on our own. The first thing we did was a jetboat ride through the Shotover Canyon, complete with the requisite 360 spins and with some perilously close canyon turns for thrown in for good measure.

Jetboating in the Canyon

After our thrilling ride, we headed back to the town proper for more adventure. We wandered and acquired some Kiwi souvenirs (including some amazing New Zealand wool yarn I got to knit with, of which I am particularly proud), we rode the SkyLine Gondola to the top of one of the nearby mountains to check out the view. It was a clear day, and we could see for miles. Neither Mr. Smith not I were brave enough to attempt bungee jumping, which was offered at the mountaintop, but we did find an adventure to take part in.

Enjoying some Street Luge

A few rides on the Luge and a light lunch later, we came down from our mountaintop experience, did a little more aimless wandering, a little laundry, and a little cleaning up. Then we treated ourselves to dinner at Flame, the steak restaurant we took Daddy to for his birthday dinner. I had the exact same meal and it was just as good. I think I could come back to Queenstown over and over again and never get bored. This is truly an adventure town, and I love it.
Queenstown Gondola

No comments:

Post a Comment