Friday, April 22, 2011

New York State of Mind


Welcome to New York

Today we had our longest day this week, and one of our longer days since we started the trail. We walked 15 miles today. We finished up the last few miles of AT in New Jersey and then passed on into New York. In the guidebook, this section of trail looked relatively flat. And it was, I supposed, after climbing up nearly vertical boulders to a rocky ridgeline...

This is what I did all day...

All the climbing made for slow going. Even though the climbs weren't very long, the rocks were very steep and took some concentration to negotiate. I think I might have strained a muscle in my leg while doing all this. It hurts right at the top of my rear, which makes sitting awkward, but I can walk alright, and everything seems fine minus some annoyance.

Pretty to look at, hard on the old bones

We scrambled over all the rocks and finally made it the whole 15 miles. I think my karma must be weak. Last October, walking 15 miles in a day might not have been a problem. Maybe I've gotten soft again. I guess the only thing to do is to go find some more rocks to climb until I remember how.

Hard to climb, good for snack breaks

1 comment:

  1. Finally got to read your blog, have been rather busy as of late. Aunt LaDon is doing good, still has pain but she is a tough lady. Hope the weather gets better for you, please be safe...love and kisses

    ReplyDelete