Thursday, July 8, 2010

Heating Things Up

Always take time to stop and smell the roses.

Today was a record day for heat and humidity here in Southwest Virginia. I'm not even sure exactly how hot it was, all I know was that just an hour or so into our 12 mile hike today, I was struggling. Covered in sweat and bugs, dehydrated, the whole bit. I have to admit, I wasn't feeling so well for most of the day. But it's only going to get hotter, and I have to get used to it. Note to self: next time - more water, less clothes.

VA farmland on the trail in the July heat.

Even though we were hiking through a heat wave, we managed to take in some interesting things. One of the greatest things we came across was the Southwestern Virginia Settler's Museum, which was unfortunately closed by the time we got there. We did have a chance to do a little exploring on the grounds though, which, according to the signs, hikers are welcome to do even during off hours.

Old one-room schoolhouse from the 1800s.

Inside the schoolhouse.

View of the Visitor's Center from the trail across the field.

Though we spent most of the hike walking through woods, the last mile or so was across the tops of exposed hills, and when we got there we found a true treasure - the first of the summer's wild blackberries. I was so thrilled, because I've been waiting to find some ripe ones. I love blackberries, and so does the Trail Angel Mamma.

Wild Blackberries!

Berry Hunter.

Found a good one to sample.

A bit on the tart side, but they'll be great over ice cream...

We picked every ripe berry we could find, which wasn't very much, but enough for a small baggie-full. Overheated and tired, I was truly happy to make in back to the RV for some food and some lovin' from the Trail Angel Mamma. It's supposed to rain and cool off tomorrow, and I am truly welcoming that possibility.

Found my note, got my berries, I'm in for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment