Monday, July 12, 2010

These are a Few of My (Least) Favorite Things

Climbing fences. Just another day on the AT.

Over the past 3 days, we've hiked about 40 miles. Some of these miles have been better than others. On Saturday, we hiked about 13 miles from Atkins, VA to a trail crossing at a small country road. It was gorgeous out, but very hot, and I have to admit I was rather ill. I don't know if I got a little bad food, or dehydrated, but I was not all there that day. Beautiful hiking is one of my favorite things about this adventure. Feeling poorly while doing it is one of my least favorite things. The AT goes through several miles of private property on this section, so I got to see some interestingly familiar sights.

Cows in the trail.

AT Pasture.

After this beautiful fence, pasture and cow filled day, my stomach settled down a bit and we headed out for an overnight in the woods on Sunday. Sunday was another beautiful day. Still hot, but slightly cooler than the day before. There were some really tough hills to climb, but nothing I had seen before. Until we got to Chestnut Ridge. I'm not sure who is responsible for taking care of the trail at Chestnut Ridge, but they are doing a poor job. After a 2,000 foot climb straight up, the trail ventured out onto an open meadow at the top of a knob. Mountaintop meadows with great views are some of my favorite things on the trail. Mountaintop meadows of weeds taller than me, constantly hitting me in the face, and so thick you can't see the trail are not.

Weed City.

There was a nice view though.

I swear I've never been more congested than I was at the end of Sunday and Monday morning. Breathing is definitely one of my favorite things, so I wasn't too thrilled about that. I don't know how people with allergies stand it. My congestion-watery eyes-clogged ears-scratchy throat fit lasted only a few hours. I can't imagine dealing with it every day. Sunday was a nice night to camp though, and we got up and broke camp just in time for a nice thunderstorm to roll in. A nice cool breeze and a little drizzle on a hot July day might be one of my favorite things on the trail. Being drenched to the bone within an hour is not.

Downpour.

I haven't gotten out my full rainsuit since March. I had it out today. It was like hiking in a plastic bag, but it worked...sort of. By the third hour, I was wishing for something a little more durable...

"Hello, Mr. Turtle, may I borrow your shell?"

So I was drenched and alternately freezing cold and blazing hot, depending on whether I was going up or downhill. I have to say that between the giant weeds and the complete soaking, these were my least favorite two days of hiking thus far. But, it can't be all fun and games out here all the time. This is what will make me tough, and I have to take the good days with the bad days.

All it takes to get through the rough patches is a little fancy footwork.

As a final note, I did get to end my two least favorite days with two of my all time favorite things. First, we had homemade blackberry cobbler made with berries we picked at one of the trail crossings on Sunday. So delicious, it will melt all your cares away. Thanks, Trail Angel Mamma. Second, I just found out today that my first peer-reviewed journal article with my research advisor, on the research that I worked on as an undergraduate in my nano lab for four years, was accepted for publication pending minor revisions. That was some of the best news I've ever gotten, and it made my day.

Yummy celebratory cobbler. My favorite.

Quote of the Day: "If I wasn't so miserable, that would be pretty..." -Me, at the top of Chestnut Ridge.

1 comment:

  1. So proud for you about the article, sending hugs and kisses
    Tell Trail Mamma that sure is a good looking cobbler

    ReplyDelete