Monday, August 9, 2010

Hiking and Tigers and Drive-Ins, Oh My!

A snake eating a frog....oh my!

I apologize profusely for the longer-than-usual hiatus from the cyberwilderness. No, I haven't broken any bones. No, I didn't end up on the losing end of a bearfight. No, I didn't meet those guys from "Deliverance." Medical school paperwork and technical difficulties have just distracted me. But I'm back to share more of my adventures, and there have certainly been plenty. On August 6th, we had a relatively easy hike along the Parkway, with lots of pretty wildflowers to see, along with some other interesting sights...

The aliens have come...in a giant golf ball...
(Calm down, it's a radar tower.)

They call this "The Guillotine." Wonder why...

For the next two days (Aug. 7-8), we hiked through the James River Wilderness, which included big climbs and descents up from and down to the mighty James River. The James holds a special place in my heart, because it runs right through Richmond, where I went to college, and my friends and I spent many a hot, beautiful day laying on the rocks and playing in the James. There was no playing in the water for me on this trip, though, but I got to enjoy the James from a whole different angle...

James River Wilderness.

Ridgetop view of the James.

Mountaintop View of the Wilderness.

Monument for Little Ottie Powell. He was only 4 years old and he managed to wander 7 miles up a mountain when he ran away from school.

James River Bridge at Big Island, VA. Behind us in the picture, you can see a few locals perched on the bridge rail. Apparently people pass the time around here jumping off of bridges...

The James River Wilderness hiking was a little harder than the nice gentle ridgetops, but it was beautiful. This area isn't without its non-wilderness perks, too. We got to go to a nearby town to go to a drive-in movie. I haven't been to a drive-in in my memorable life (Mamma insist she took me when I was a baby because I'd fall asleep halfway through the movie so she and Daddy could still have a night out without leaving me at home), and it was lots of fun. Where else can you have a burger and fries while you watch a movie from your car? "The Last Airbender" was playing. Cheesy? Absolutely (M. Night, you've really forgotten how to end a movie since you did "The 6th Sense). But it was actually pretty entertaining, and I really loved the whole experience.

Drive-In Fun.

August 9th was a gorgeous hike. Most of it was along Brown Mountain Creek, which was a babbling brook surrounded by bright green forests and full of perfect, round rocks. It would've been a great section to camp on, but we did it all in one day.

Brown Mountain Creek.

Swimming Hole. Too bad I forgot my suit.

We weren't the only ones to be attracted to Brown Mountain, though. According to signs set up by the Forest Service, freed slaves settled here after the Civil War, and lived here for several years as sharecroppers before selling their land to the Park Service. I don't blame them for picking this spot. The area was tranquil, fertile and the perfect place to start a new life.

Brown Mountain Community Info Sign.

Ruins of an old sharecropper town.

Overall, these were some fantastic hiking days. We made it about 40 miles over these 4 days. Perfect weather, some great views, a little fun and a little history to go with it. But I must confess, the absolute highlight of these few days had nothing to do with hiking or the trail, but everything to do with adventure and the wild. We drove past a local zoo on Saturday only to see the opportunity of a lifetime advertised in the parking lot. No one would believe me unless there was photographic evidence, so I'll let the picture speak for itself.

This is Tavomel. She's a baby snow tabby tiger, and she's very friendly. I got to have my picture taken with her for a donation to the zoo's new Tiger Habitat Fund. No Photoshop was used in the making of this image.






1 comment:

  1. Great post, enjoyed all the beautiful pictures and the tiger was so neat.

    ReplyDelete