Thursday, August 26, 2010

Oh Shenandoah, I long to see you...

900 Miles!

After being forced to take a day off because of fog (I realize that sounds bizzare, but the fog on Tuesday was literally thick enough to make driving and even walking/hiking dangerous), we had two more back-to-back 13-14 mile days. On Wednesday, we started out from the 900 mile mark. No matter how you slice it, 900 miles is a long way. It's taken me a long time to get here, and I'm just now getting used to being out here. Maybe I'll feel like a real hiker soon. The fog from the day before hadn't quite lifted when we started hiking on Wednesday, but it was pleasant. For a while. The weather changes in an instant out here.

From this...

...to this in a matter of minutes.

But, it can't rain all the time, and when we were within a mile of our pickup spot, things cleared up. Things cleared up so much that the Trail Angel Mamma decided to come out and hike with us for a little detour to Lewis Falls, an 81 foot waterfall in the park. It's always nice to have the Trail Angel Mamma with us. The detour made Wednesday a long day, but it was a nice one because of it.

Lewis Falls.

Today, we went 13 miles instead of 14, and the day was full of adventures, too many to put up pictures of.

Cliff Climbing, one adventure of many.

We walked across another Talus Slope, came across several mother deer with their fawns, petted a horse when we walked past Skyland Stables. Three things happened on both Wednesday and Thursday that made these two days particularly fun. First, we saw the Seattle Boys again. I think we are on official recognition terms now. I almost didn't recognize them under their weeks-worth of facial hair, but we chatted a but while I waited for Mamma and Daddy at the trail to Lewis Falls yesterday, and I saw them again today at the lodge. They still seem happy to be out here, but that could've been the burgers and beer at the lodge talking through them. Second, we got to have lunch with Mamma both days. Yesterday, she brought us a picnic, and today we walked to the Skyland Lodge and ate there. Always a treat. Third, we got to enjoy live entertainment both nights. Last night, we listened to Higher Ground play some great bluegrass, and tonight we enjoyed the Appalachian folk music stylings of a local art history professor and his 17 year old son. It always feels good to throw some culture in between long walks.

High Ground Bluegrass.

Appalachian Folk Music.

The past two days have definitely been very enjoyable. It seems like every time I start to feel the pain in my legs, or let my mind wander into a dark place, something happens to surprise me and take my breath away. I don't always have fun out here, and I don't always have a good attitude. But the trail does funny things. Sometimes, I forget why I decided to come out here in the first place. But then again, sometimes, that just doesn't matter.

Sunset on the mountain

Quote of the Day: "I'm so sorry, folks. Someone in here is wearing a scent I haven't smelled since high school. And that was a long time ago. It's doing things to me. I'm not in my own body right now." -Appalachian folk singer, when he forgot some lyrics.

Mileage Update: Miles from Springer - 927

1 comment:

  1. Your dad has absolutely captured your event with "Sunset on the Mountain". You need to get it framed!!!

    ReplyDelete