Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Where the Wild Things Are

Trail Dog is ready for adventure.

Today, we only hiked about 3 miles. But it was a great day, because the Trail Angel Mamma came hiking with us. There's plenty of parking here where the AT runs along the highway, so we parked the Jeep and one end and the RV at the other and headed out. Even though we were never out of eye/earshot of the highway, it was still beautiful, cloudy and not too hot. And it's always better when I have my whole family with me.

Old Stone Wall. Not to be confused with the Confederate General.

Nano and Trail Angel Mamma enjoying the AT.

Because we didn't go too far today, we had some time to explore. Being the giddy little kid that I am, I wanted to go to the zoo. But this isn't just any zoo. The Virginia Safari Park is an up close and personal drive-through zoo. I figured the pictures in the brochure were staged, but I love zoos and I wanted to see for myself. They aren't kidding when they promise visitors a hands-on experience. Just see for yourself...

A Llama eating grain from a bucket I'm holding out the Jeep window.

Oh, hello, Mr. Camel. You got greedy and took my whole feed bucket. Bad camel.

Zebra!

Nature's favorite gawky, awkward kid, the giraffe.

Blackbuck

Elk. It's even bigger than it looks in this picture.

Feeding/petting the big guy. Our friend Hooter goes on huge wilderness expeditions to catch these things. I just lure them in with hugs and treats from a Jeep.

I got to feed and see all kinds of animals, all up close. From the llamas and camel and elk, to antelope and 10 different kinds of deer and bison, watusi cattle and water buffalo. It was really way more amazing than I expected. There was also a large walk-through area with other animals, most of which you couldn't feed, but were still beautiful to watch.

Kangaroos.

Lemur.

Week-old piglet. I really wanted to take it home.

Baby goat that somehow escaped from the pen.

Like a kid in a candy store, I loved every second at the zoo. Except for when the large, flightless birds came looking for a feed. I know they're wonders of nature, but I swear I felt like I was trapped in Jurassic Park...

Clever girl...

If this isn't frightening, I don't know what is...

The baby ones are kinda cute though...

Overall, it was a totally wild, totally fun day. I also got two more medical school secondary applications finished, so good progress is being made on all fronts.

Even after my wild encounters with exotic creatures, I still prefer my dog.

Quote of the Day: "No! Bad Llama! Mean llama!" - Trail Angel Mamma yelling at the greedy animals trying to steal food.

1 comment: