Sunday, May 1, 2011

Happy May Day


Spring is in the air on the AT

Today we hiked a little over 12 miles. It's the first day of May, and although the May flowers that the April showers are supposed to bring aren't quite out yet, things are definitely looking greener. The weather was beautiful again today. I broke out my highlighter-yellow shirt because today is the first day of turkey season here in New York. I'd hate to be mistaken for a gobbler. The trail was mostly ridge walking with a big hill at either end. Not too many rocks to scramble over, so it was a good hike.

Even a picnic table for lunch

We finished our hike around 3:30 pm. We try to get finished by 4:00 pm every day. First, because we have a lot of driving to do between the trailheads (I really miss my Trail Angel...she was so good at navigation and logistics...) and second because Amicus and I both hit a proverbial wall of energy and willpower about 4:00 pm. We call it the 4 o'clock doldrums. When we were hiking long days and staying out overnight, if we pushed through until about 5:30 pm, the doldrums passed and we got a second wind. But since we aren't doing that this time around, we try to beat them to the end of our hike for the day. So far we've succeeded. We found a yummy local Italian place for dinner. I had baked ziti. It's supposed to rain more later in the week, but I hope it passes us by and we get some more of these great spring days.

Spring in NY

No comments:

Post a Comment